SOLO

SOLO

main_search_layout***form.rta=none***delCtegory=***sourceSystem=***activeSourceSystem=[Aleph]***ct=***isActivatedSystem=******
institution = University of Oxford institution code = OX

 

OxLIP+


 

e-Journals


 

Wednesday 24 March 2010

Things 19 and 20 - Office 2.0

Thing 19: Google Docs
I thought this was going to be an easy one as I have been using Google Docs for a couple of years, for documents and spreadsheets. The sharing option is good for if you have multiple people working on the same document.
I'd never used forms before though. it was really easy to set one up although I got a surprise when I opened it to see a nasty looking spreadsheet. Then I realised that this is how you see the results of what people had submitted to the form and you could then manipulate them in the standard manner - genius!
I couldn't find a way to get the form to display properly in an email, but a colleague told me that you can stop it showing in the invitation email, I don't know if it is possible to send out a working form via email but I couldn't manage it - could anyone else?
I did manage to embed the form on my blog, which I think is useful and looks good.

Thing 20: ThinkFree Office
Another free online office suite, this one is a lot slower than Google Docs and although the HTML formatted note option looked quite good, I can't see me using it over Google Docs (faster and easier to use) Google Docs now also has the upload file option that this has.

Summary: "Office 2.0" is good because you can use it from any computer that can connect to the internet, people might be a bit funny about Google or whoever having their data on their computers though, you might not want to put confidential information on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My sample form created using Google Docs